Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Your Application Status has been updated

I was medically cleared for the Peace Corps! I got the call last week from the lady at the Office of Medical Services saying they needed just one more form in order to medically qualify me and place me in the program I was applying for. Five hours later...placed. SO Exciting! The Office of Placement called to say I just had to fax my final school transcript and they would send out the letter "inviting" me to my country of service. So within the next week I will know the exact date of my departure and exact country I will be Teaching English as a Second Language. I have read on a lot of other blogs that the packet a volunteer receives in the mail can be overwhelming. It contains all the legal information required to leave our country and enter another (passports, visas, etc), and information on the country itself (climate conditions, culture, language). Even reading all of the information on the Peace Corps website can be a lot of information. I got the coveted email I had been waiting so long for "Your Application Status has been updated."

Peace Corps sent you an invitation kit on August 9, 2010. Within 10 days of receiving your kit, please call us regarding your decision to accept or decline our invitation. If we do not hear from you within this period, the assignment may be offered to another applicant.

Now I really check the mail a lot. It has become more of a final plan in my life. Instead of saying, I'm trying to get into the Peace Corps, I can now say, I'm waiting to leave for the Peace Corps. Now this means I have approximately a month and a half to get my life in order. I already made a list of "contracts" I have to take care of: Student Loans, car, apartment, bank accounts, satellite radio, and work. I'm sure the list is longer, but my mind is on overload trying to think of all the things I'll have to do to get ready. And the mixed feelings have also started.. happy, sad, relieved, anxious, nervous all bundled into one brain. Uffda.

No comments:

Post a Comment