I went to a wedding this weekend where I had to explain over ten different times what I was doing in my life. And over ten different times I explained to people I'm a recent college grad, working at Starbucks, trying to get into the Peace Corps. I just a little bit cringe to the question. I am proud of applying, and it is practically the only thing I really want to do in life, however, the barrage of questions that follow telling people I'm applying are interesting, to say the least. The reactions to this statement vary from some people not having ever heard of the P.C. and trying not to look like they have no idea what I'm talking about, the majority of people who assume every single person who would ever apply would be accepted, and the remainder of people who think it's a terrible or great idea.
Unless people have no idea what I am talking about, almost every time I hear someone else's "Peace Corps story." You know the kind of story, the person they knew five years ago who had a sister with a roommate who one time lived in Africa/South America/Asia in the Peace Corps. Don't get me wrong, I do appreciate hearing about the stories. It's refreshing to know there are people out there. Real people who went into the P.C. and loved it and led successful lives afterward. On the other hand, half the stories are these horror accounts of Early Termination/Illness/War/General Discontent. Of course all of these are a reality, but I don't necessarily care to hear every single one. I was telling my aunt, Jeri, about how I hear everyone's "story." I think she came pretty close when she said it's just like being pregnant. Even though I haven't been pregnant, I've been around enough women with child to hear all of the "pregnant stories." Sure, it's possible to have something go wrong with pregnancy, but it's not as if you really care to hear e.v.e.r.y. personal account about it.
Despite my cynicism, I do appreciate people reaching out to me over something I care so deeply about. It sure beats the "'Oh that is so generous of you,''Wow how amazing and courageos,''What a fantastic and selfless opportunity,'" Etc. Because I never know how to respond besides Thanks, and after four of those statements, Thanks only gets you so far. Ideally though, I'll be hearing these my whole life if this whole process becomes a reality and by then I hope I have a few more responses.
No comments:
Post a Comment