I sent in my Medical Packet! I was sighing with relief, oozing with excitement, and anticipating even more anxiety to start as I stood in line at UPS ready to send it off. The Medical Portion of the Peace Corps is one of the most involved sections. I didn't really understand the full applying process to become a volunteer when I started, but I'll give you a brief synopsis. There are three majors steps involved. The first is to fill out the online section (financial info, references, essays, resumes, education, etc, etc), get an interview and be nominated to an area with a special focus. My nomination ended up being Eastern Europe/Central Asia teaching English as a Second Language. The second major part is filling out the medical portion properly and being cleared. The third is making deadlines, being placed, and being "Invited." So until an applicant receives the letter in the mail saying, "You've been invited. To accept an invitation to East Jesus Nowhere with no pay for the next two years, please respond in the next 10 days" you cannot say for sure whether or not you are going.
So I am considered in the Medical portion. I can either be cleared, be cleared with restrictions, or not be cleared (which would result in the end of my Peace Corps application). To put a timeline on how everything went for me:
5/28: I received the packet in the mail with all forms and directions
6/03: Saw my Primary Care Physician.. first round of shots and sheets filled out
6/15: Picked up all completed Dental Forms and X-rays from Dentist
6/17: Appointment with Cardiologist
6/21: Second round of shots and lab work with Clinic
6/28: Stress test with Cardiologist
6/30: Email from Peace Corps Medical saying if you wrongfully indicated something on the Health Status Review you MUST have a personal written statement signed by your doctor.... of course this applied to me... aka, back to Cardiologist
7/7: Dropped everything off with eye care professional
7/12: Picked up Eye Care forms and Sent in EVERYTHING
What I learned from the process:
*Just because the directions to a form say "All blanks must be filled out completely with NO Exceptions" does not guarantee your health professional will be able to follow them
*I am more organized than I thought I was
*I am the first adult my Clinic has ever given the Polio vaccine to, and the only person with a slight allergic reaction to it
*After all that poking and prodding, reviewing my forms, going back to the clinic four times, receiving dirty looks from receptionists when I say forms aren't filled out, and checking and rechecking, only 15% of Peace Corps volunteers fill their packet out completely the first time.
*With a deadline of August 11th, that doesn't leave much room
So like I said, what a sigh of relief. However, now I get to worry again. I've heard waiting on medical clearance/an invitation to volunteer is one of the most patience-testing times of the application process. If you did something wrong, you hear back from the Office Of Medical Services. If not, you just wait. Wait to be cleared. Wait to be placed. Wait to be invited. Perhaps with knowing very little about where specifically You are in the process.
There is one thing for sure I know.. if I wasn't young, with few responsibilities, I have no idea how I could pull this off. For some reason, it is completely acceptable for me to go on with my daily life, knowing that potentially I could have six weeks notice to get rid of my apartment, cell phone, car, and student loans. Uffda.
No comments:
Post a Comment