I was inspired by one of my friends to start writing down some of my memories from the last two years. I know I look back on them now easily, but they are ones that will fade with time. I was trying to think of a list, funniest, saddest, most embarrassing, but I’m sure there are some that don’t even fit into categories. I also thought this would be a good way to update my blog a little more frequently. So, if I am diligent about it, there should be a few more of these to look forward to. If there is a specific question you have about cultural or memories or anything at all, please let me know and I'll be happy to write about it.
Somewhat fittingly, my first post is about my first night with my host family. I had arrived, unpacked my two suitcases, looked through what seemed like 1000 wedding pictures, and was shyly awaiting whatever was to come next. I had noticed the neighbors had been coming over throughout the past two hours to get a glimpse of the new foreigner. But then the men came in and the whole mood changed. Suddenly, everything switched to formal and my host mom brought out all of the nice china, a full tea tray, and plenty of candy, pomegranates, and cookies to match. I was sitting next to the grandpa, Baba, of the house when he told me to drink sugar with my tea. Traditionally, tea, chay, is drunk in a tea cup or pear shaped glass, and always either with sugar cubes, candy, or jam on the side. The sugar cube is usually dipped in the tea first to soften it, and then put in your mouth to slowly enjoy while you are drinking. Trying to appear sure of myself, I grabbed a sugar cube and almost put it in my mouth before my Baba stopped me and tried to show me to dip it in my tea. Not understanding, I just plopped it right into my tea and watched it sink to the bottom. Cute old Baba with all of his wrinkles started laughing and laughing and then showed me what I was actually supposed to do with it. It was good though, because he immediately lightened up the room with his big guffaw and I felt much better (or maybe I was extremely embarrassed and blushing, but look back on it fondly).
At the time, I could only say, ‘Hello, Good-bye, Thank you, and I want (pick from about twenty nouns I knew).’ A couple months ago I was visiting that family and retold them that memory and Baba laughed even harder the second time around. They were a really amazing family to be with for those first three months. I’m sure it took mountains of patience for my host mom listening to me practice my terrible Azeri, and I had displaced the three children from their one bedroom. One of my host sisters lived at her grandma’s the whole time, and the other two rotated the sofa and cot out in the living room. I have so many great memories of them, but that one with Grandpa is one of my fondest.
I couldn't find a pic of Gramps, but here is one with his wife, another North Dakotan volunteer and her host mother (we were "cousins")

No comments:
Post a Comment