Since I have recently been trying to fight off the common cold that plagues schools, a house with eight people in it, and a culture that does not truly believe germs are the carriers, I thought I would give you insight to a few of the things my host mother claims will for sure make me feel better when I am ill.
Remedies I stay clear of:
Wrapping my head in a scarf or towel because I have a headache
Wearing a hat because I have a headache
Wrapping my head in a scarf or towel soaked in vodka because I have a headache
Wrapping any part of my body in a scarf or towel soaked in vodka or otherwise because said body part aches, including my neck when I have a sore throat
Drinking milk when I have a cough
Drinking either tea or milk with (lots of) sugar which automatically makes “medicine”
Remedies I try to fend off which I am not successful at:
Drinking tea with jam in it, which makes “medicine”
In Azerbaijani, “Bankas”, in English, “Cupping” The practice of lighting a match inside of a small jar and then sticking it to an ill person’s back (usually about eight small jars per back). The heat and gasses and such (I am no scientist) sucks the skin from your back into the jar and when you pull them off about ten minutes later it leaves nice, red to purple welts. Here, the darker the color of rings, the more ill you are. I so far have had this done twice to me. Both times my welts were really dark purple. I claim it’s because my back is sensitive. They say it’s because I do not dry my hair immediately after a shower and that is how I get ill.
A weird grass-tea leaf solution which takes like burnt tootsie rolls and has the gooey thickness of tar
Medicine in Russian writing
Lectures from my host mother about the evils of cold water
Wearing multiple pairs of socks
Remedies I embrace:
Calling our Peace Corps Medical Officer who is available 24/7
The remaining Dayquil/Nyquil I initially brought with me
Wearing sunscreen
Drinking a lot of water
Ibuprofen
Rest
Having Neighbors bring food over to express condolences for your illness
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteWhile you were away-there is a new "beauty treatment" done here in the USA that draws out toxins using the heated glass jars that are suctioned onto your back.
ReplyDeleteI have enjoyed very much reading your blog about your time there. You are a good writer Emily. You should pursue that field in the future. You have so many doors open ahead of you. Blessings. We think of you and pray for your time there.
ReplyDelete